Cod is a fish you can sample pretty much anywhere you care to travel on the East Coast. Its a tastey white fish that is low in fat, low in calories and a good source of protein. Need B12? This is yer fish. Remember takin’ cod liver oil pills as a kid? Maybe not but its sure good fer what ails ya! You can find so many recipes for cod. Cod cheeks. Cod tongues. But I will share Cod au Gratin with ya. Its my best way to eat cod! My Mamma taught me!
- 1 lb cubed cod
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour(I use gluten free)
- 1 1/4 cup milk(I use lactose free)
- pinch salt r not
- Parsley and thyme(optional)
- squirt of lemon juice
- 1 small onion chopped fine
- 1 stalk celery chopped fine
- mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs or cracker crumbs(gluten free Bretons)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese(white/marble cheese=less fat)
- Preheat oven to 375
- in a skillet melt butter and stir in flour til smooth
- remove from heat and add milk
- heat this till smooth and shiney
- add remaining ingredients and cook and stir till smooth and thick
- Place cod in greased casserole dish
- Top with the white sauce
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese.
- Bake 20 – 30 minutes till bubbles and slightly brown
- Serve with potatoes ‘n veggies or yer favorite salad.
- Yum! Enjoy!