A favourite recipe you are all sure to enjoy. I did tweak this one a bit. Added 1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, mushrooms, a seafood chowder mix, used lobster and skipped the crab, 1 can of baby clams, cayenne and parsley. I did not add the chicken haddie but added 3 good sized pieces of salmon. I also used gluten free flour for the sauce and it was perfect. Lots of cheese! Makes a good large casserole(serves 8-10). I served it on a bed of rice with a garden salad and garlic bread on the side. Yum… and loved by all!
East Coast Recipes
Authentic recipes from East Coast Kitchens
- 2!/2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1tsp vanilla
- In a large bowl; mix together oatmeal,coconut and cocoa
- Boil and dissolve: butter, milk and sugar (2minutes)
- then add vanilla to the boiled mixture
- Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and stir(or vice versa)
- roll into balls and place on cookie sheet lined with waxed paper.(I did it by the spoonful)
- Cool it in the frig and keep in the frig covered
- PS. I had to add a bit extra coconut to make the mixture stick together. Found it too moist.
- Kids and big kids do so love them. Yum!
Cornbread is a favoutite of ours. Thought I would share Mama’s Cornbread recipe with y’all. Heard this slang the other day about cornbread. “His cornbread ain’t done in the middle!” Happy baking!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2cup white sugar
- 3 eggs (I use 2)
- 1/2 cup chopped green/red peppers
- 1 can cream style corn(14 oz)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- good pinch pepper
- pinch salt
- good pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp jalepino peppers(optional)
- Combine flour, cormeal, baking powder, spices and set aside
- cream margarine & sugar. Beat in eggs til light & fluffy. Add peppers,corn,cheese
- Add flour mixture & blend well
- Pour batter into 13×9 baking dish
- Bake @325 oven for 45 minutes.(I bake 1 hour so its cooked in the middle)
Yum! Serve warm with butter! I also heat it up and pour maple syrup over top! Even yummier! Enjoy!
So just what is Cretons Spread you say. It is a French Canadian meat spread similar to pate but made from ground pork. Now my Mama grew up on the Gaspe Coast and she tells me; that her Mama used to make her own from scratch. They called it layered meat then. (And no it is not head cheese) It was most commonly eaten on your toast, for breakfast. Yum! Back in the earlier days it was a good lunch for those off working in the woods all day. Cretons is a great source of protein and could be eaten cold. Its right tastey too! C’est Bon Bon Bon!
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup milk
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- garlic chopped fine
- S & P to taste ( I put lots of P)
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch allspice
- In a saucepan combine pork,milk, onion, garlic
- Add seasonings(not the S & P)
- Cook on medium heat for 1 hour
- then stir in bread crumbs
- Cook 10 more minutes
- Season with S & P to taste
- Voila! Keep refrigerated.
I will share a little family secret with you that will add a special something to your Cretons. Fry up a few pieces of pork fat (could use bacon). Crumble the fat into small pieces. Add this to your Cretons Spread. There you have it! Authentic Cretons from down the Gaspe Coast! C’est vraiment bon!!! Thanks Mama!
Cod is a fish you can sample pretty much anywhere you care to travel on the East Coast. Its a tastey white fish that is low in fat, low in calories and a good source of protein. Need B12? This is yer fish. Remember takin’ cod liver oil pills as a kid? Maybe not but its sure good fer what ails ya! You can find so many recipes for cod. Cod cheeks. Cod tongues. But I will share Cod au Gratin with ya. Its my best way to eat cod! My Mamma taught me!
- 1 lb cubed cod
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour(I use gluten free)
- 1 1/4 cup milk(I use lactose free)
- pinch salt r not
- Parsley and thyme(optional)
- squirt of lemon juice
- 1 small onion chopped fine
- 1 stalk celery chopped fine
- mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs or cracker crumbs(gluten free Bretons)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese(white/marble cheese=less fat)
- Preheat oven to 375
- in a skillet melt butter and stir in flour til smooth
- remove from heat and add milk
- heat this till smooth and shiney
- add remaining ingredients and cook and stir till smooth and thick
- Place cod in greased casserole dish
- Top with the white sauce
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese.
- Bake 20 – 30 minutes till bubbles and slightly brown
- Serve with potatoes ‘n veggies or yer favorite salad.
- Yum! Enjoy!
JTS Design | Copyright 2019 - EastCoastSlangHeritage